Here’s a few tips to help you prepare your home for the cold weather ahead of us:
1) Insulating pipes to water heaters in the garage can conserve hot water and cut energy costs. Make sure you know how to shut the water off in the house in case of a leak or burst pipe.
2) Check the condition of the weather stripping around windows and doors.
3) Put new filters in your cold air returns to help the furnace work a little easier.
4) When using space heaters, keep at least a 3-foot clear area around the unit at all times. Make sure the unit you choose has an automatic shutoff.
5) Finally, think ahead and be prepared for a power outage. Candles, flashlights, batteries, sand for icy driveways, and bottled water are all essential to keep around.
For a more extensive list of things you can do to winterize your home in the Lake Norman region of North Carolina, click here.